Re: how to use "make" to build such project as lemur etc. on winxp.

From: Muhammad Hasan
Subject: Re: how to use "make" to build such project as lemur etc. on winxp.
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:52:25 +0500

2008/11/2 tianweixin <address@hidden>
I have read some topics on google and know that this kind of project direction files are generated like this:
1.run autoscan to generate a prototype of configure.in.
2.run aclocal and autoconf to generate configure.
3.run automake to generate makefile.in.
and so
given on linux to rebuild this kind of projects the step is:
1.run configure to generate the Makefile from Makefile.in.
2.run make to rebuild.

AutoTools (Autoscan, automake etc) can be used on linux to generate pre-build files like "configure.in, configure.guess, makefile.in". These files are always platform independent. The information contained in these files is about our project NOT about the platform. For example, when we run CONFIGURE on shell, its input file "configure.in" tells what environment variables to check in order to determine the platform and to generate the platform specific MAKEFILE.

So the AUTOCONF, ACLOCAL, AUTOMAKE would be run once. These are needed to re-run only when our project dependencies are changed.

Once we have configure.in, configure and makefile.in we need to follow the THREE-STEP (configure, make and make install) procedure to build the project.

 my question is that whether exist a suite of full-function win32 version tools include gcc,make,perl,autoscan,automake etc.

gcc, make etc are platform independent tools so win32 version. Microsoft provides NMAKE to build from makefiles but that uses CL compiler NOT gcc, in addition you need some tool to generate makefile for windows. On the other hand, in Cigwin and MinGW you can add any linux tool. The output binaries that these environments generate are for the HOST platform ( windows in this case)

that can easy rebuild on winxp projects generated on linux just like the lunix way.
is the steps i mentioned above a prevailing one presently?

Creating Cross-platform projects is NO EASY TASK :P Once you set-up Cigwin or MinGW msys, its the exact linux way to build project.
You can let me know if you find any other tools for the purpose cos I have been working on a cross platform project too.