Generating pattern rules for various directories

From: Pierre-Julien VILLOUD
Subject: Generating pattern rules for various directories
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:02:52 +0200

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to write a generic makefile with gnu-make under windows (unxUtils). The problem is that my source files are not in the same directory.

For example :

Dir1/Dir2 : directory where is located the makefile and some source files and where I run make.

Dir3/ : some other sources files.

So this pattern works for the source files in Dir1/Dir2 but obviously not for those of Dir3/.

$(OBJDIR)/%.o:%.cpp

                $(CPP) -o $@ -c $< $(CFLAGS) $(foreach DIRECTORY,$(INCDIRS),-I$(DIRECTORY))

So I tried something like that with (INCDIRS=Dir1/Dir2 Dir3 Dir3/Dir4) but it doesn’t work L.

for DIRECTORY in $(INCDIRS) do \

$(OBJDIR)/%.o:$(DIRECTORY)/%.cpp

                $(CPP) -o $@ -c $< $(CFLAGS) $(foreach DIRECTORY,$(INCDIRS),-I$(DIRECTORY)) done

As the directories in INCDIRS change from a project to another I can’t write explicitly the rules. Is there a way to bypass this problem and generate those targets ?

TIA.

Pierre-Julien VILLOUD