Re: make 3.81 and MS-DOS paths (e.g. C: or drive letter paths)

From: Christopher Faylor
Subject: Re: make 3.81 and MS-DOS paths (e.g. C: or drive letter paths)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 22:43:14 -0400

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 12:41:16PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:26 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>>I think this is a known limitation, that the job server is not
>>implemented on certain platforms.  I googled a bit, and it seemed like
>>it has something to do with having or not having named pipes.  Perhaps
>>some of the gnu make folks could elaborate on this issue.
>
>Make jobserver doesn't use named pipes, at least not on POSIX systems.
>It does, however, require fully capable POSIX pipes, in particular ones
>that are inherited by/shared across multiple processes and which can be
>read from and written to by multiple processes simultaneously.

Since Cygwin doesn't have fully functional named pipes GNU make couldn't
be relying on them anyway.

There shouldn't be any problem with regular pipes in modern Windows
versions.  There were some irregularities in the Windows 9x series
but I don't think that should really be an issue for GNU make these
days.

cgf