Re: make 3.81 and MS-DOS paths (e.g. C: or drive letter paths)

From: Bill Hoffman
Subject: Re: make 3.81 and MS-DOS paths (e.g. C: or drive letter paths)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:43:26 -0400

Paul Smith wrote:
On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 11:26 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
I think this is a known limitation, that the job server is not implemented on certain platforms. I googled a bit, and it seemed
like  it has something to do with having or not having named pipes.
Perhaps  some of the gnu make folks could elaborate on this issue.

Make jobserver doesn't use named pipes, at least not on POSIX systems.
It does, however, require fully capable POSIX pipes, in particular ones
that are inherited by/shared across multiple processes and which can be
read from and written to by multiple processes simultaneously.

I have no idea about how it is implemented, I just found that in a comment from a google search.
Not knowing anything about Windows that's about all I can say, except
that I _thought_ that there was at least one of the Windows
implementations of GNU make that fully supported parallel builds.

I have tried the mingw make and the native build windows make, and no job server. -j N works, but not if you do recursive make. Msys make has the command line option issue. Is there another make to try on Windows?

-Bill