Re: make 3.81 and MS-DOS paths (e.g. C: or drive letter paths)

From: Christopher Faylor
Subject: Re: make 3.81 and MS-DOS paths (e.g. C: or drive letter paths)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:12:02 -0400

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 06:27:29PM -0700, Kelly O'Hair wrote:
> Thanks.  And I understand the "no guarantee" issue, we ran into
> a problem with find.exe too a while back.
>
> I also understand their point of view on these paths being problematic,
> but unfortunately the OpenJDK build process uses such a mixed bag
> of tools (misc unix utils, java.exe, cl.exe, rc.exe, rebase.exe, etc.)
> it's tricky to sort out when to use what kind of pathname.

If the build process uses a mixed bag of tools which take different
types of path specifications, you sort of get what you pay for.  That
sounds like something that needs to be fixed.

If there is no real desire for the build process to be UNIX-compatible
then maybe it should be using pure MinGW tools and eschewing Cygwin
altogether.  It's hard to see why Cygwin tools would be a benefit in
this case.

cgf