Re: New make PATH problem(?)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New make PATH problem(?)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:53:58 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:01:42 -0400
> From: address@hidden
>
> I then ran make on this Makefile with the --debug=vj option using both the
> earlier and the latest make versions
>
> Case (1)
> C:\msys\1.0\bin in PATH, mingw32-make (from mingw32-make-3.81-2.tar.gz) and
> --debug=vj
> Console output:
>     GNU Make 3.81
>     Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
>     There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
>     PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>     This program built for i386-pc-mingw32
>     find_and_set_shell path search set default_shell = C:/msys/1.0/bin/sh.exe
>     Reading makefiles...
>     Reading makefile `makefile'...
>     Updating goal targets....
>     Considering target file `refman.pdf'.
>      File `refman.pdf' does not exist.
>       Considering target file `refman.tex'.
>        Finished prerequisites of target file `refman.tex'.
>       No need to remake target `refman.tex'.
>      Finished prerequisites of target file `refman.pdf'.
>     Must remake target `refman.pdf'.
>     latex_count=5 ; \
>             while egrep -s 'Rerun (LaTeX|to get cross-references right)'
> refman.log && [ $latex_count -gt 0 ] ;\
>                 do \
>                   echo "Rerunning latex...." ;\
>                   pdflatex refman.tex ;\
>                   latex_count=`expr $latex_count - 1` ;\
>                 done
>     Main thread handle = 0x000007ac
>     Successfully remade target file `refman.pdf'.
>
> Case (2)
> C:\msys\1.0\bin in PATH, mingw32-make (from
> mingw32-make-3.81-20080326.tar.gz) and --debug=vj
> Console output:
>     GNU Make 3.81
>     Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
>     There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
>     PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>     This program built for i686-pc-mingw32
>     Reading makefiles...
>     Reading makefile `makefile'...
>     Updating goal targets....
>     Considering target file `refman.pdf'.
>      File `refman.pdf' does not exist.
>       Considering target file `refman.tex'.
>        Finished prerequisites of target file `refman.tex'.
>       No need to remake target `refman.tex'.
>      Finished prerequisites of target file `refman.pdf'.
>     Must remake target `refman.pdf'.
>     latex_count=5 ; \
>             while egrep -s 'Rerun (LaTeX|to get cross-references right)'
> refman.log && [ $latex_count -gt 0 ] ;\
>                 do \
>                   echo "Rerunning latex...." ;\
>                   pdflatex refman.tex ;\
>                   latex_count=`expr $latex_count - 1` ;\
>                 done
>     Main thread handle = 0x000007bc
>     'latex_count' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>     operable program or batch file.
>     mingw32-make-new: *** [refman.pdf] Error 255

> [...]

I downloaded mingw32-make-3.81-20080326.tar.gz from the MinGW site,
and I can confirm that the mingw32-make.exe binary from there does not
find sh.exe on my system as well.  What's even more strange, I
compared the sources in mingw32-make-3.81-20080326-src.tar.gz with
what I have, and they are identical!  And the binary I build from my
sources does find the shell.

So the reason for this problem could only be the way the Make binary
was built, perhaps the libraries it was linked against or something.

I suggest that you report this problem to the MinGW bug-tracking
system.  If you have a Windows compiler installed, you could try
building your own binary from the sources as described in the file
README.W32 in the distribution.