Re: what happens to my --jobs?

From: Krzysztof Nosek
Subject: Re: what happens to my --jobs?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:33:09 +0100

Hello,

thank you for your answer. First of all, I understand the relationships between MAKEFLAGS and recursive make invocation, but I want to emphasize that my situation is purely un-recursive: it's just one simple, flat makefile. Just for any case.

Second, I need to access the --jobs setting in order to dynamically create dependency graph.

Let's assume I have one huge file to deal with. It's really big. However, there's an easy way to split it into parts, process separately in parts and even to merge the results together. So, using simple calculations, I can create some additional processing steps in my makefile, so that make can perform the most important part of the work in parallel.

But in order to do that effectively, I need to know the number of jobs that the user has requested. OR, I want to set the number of jobs from within the makefile, according to the setting of some variable. However, both ways seem pretty impossible and my clients still have to write something like this:
       make JOBS=5 --jobs 5
which is pretty nasty, isn't it.

I was sure it had something in common with windows reality; now I suppose I've hit some general issue. But anyway, I'm pretty convinced somebody out there has already done something similar to this.
Will be very grateful for any tips.

Regards,
Krzysztof Nosek