infinite loop caused by -j option

From: Bailey, Kirk A
Subject: infinite loop caused by -j option
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:36:16 -0500

Hello,

I am running make version 3.81 under Cygwin. I have been
successfully using the -j option (-j5, specifically) to
speed up the build on my dual-core PC.

I now have a situation where make reaches a point in
the build where it enters an "infinite loop". It only
does this with the -j option. If I kill it and re-start
it without using -j, it will continue on and finish
the build. The infinite loop is characterized by one
of the CPUs on my dual-core PC being fully used. I've
let this run for extended periods and it shows no sign
of terminating on its own.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might
cause this to occur or how I might track down what
to change in my makefiles to get past this?
Unfortunately, I don't have a simple test case that
shows this behavior, and since I have no clue as to
what the cause might be I'm at a loss as to how to
approach creating one.

Regards,
Kirk

Note:  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.