Re: VPATH of the form C:/foo

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: VPATH of the form C:/foo
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:41:47 +0100

On Dec 2, 2007, at 6:13 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 11:52:41AM +0100, Benoit Sigoure wrote:
On Dec 2, 2007, at 3:37 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
This does raise the question of why you'd be using a cygwin version of
make if you need to use colon paths.

Good question. The VPATH variable is set by a script that calls `make'. This variable is also used to invoke native Windows tools, so it's more
convenient to use the C:/Foo/Bar notation, which has the advantage of
working with both native applications and Cygwin ones (while being nice
with the shell by avoiding backslashes).

Why not convert the VPATH to UNIX format with cygpath ?

That's the workaround we use ATM, but I still consider this as a bug that the Windows port of make doesn't deal nicely with Windows paths for this particular feature. I would prefer to avoid this sort of hack in my scripts:

case `uname -s` in
  CYGWIN*) # fix VPATH for b0rken port of make
   save_IFS=$IFS
   IFS=';'
   for p in $vpath; do
     IFS=$save_IFS
     vpath_tmp="$vpath_tmp:"`cygpath "$p"`
   done
   vpath=$vpath_tmp;;
esac

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory