Re: VPATH of the form C:/foo

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: VPATH of the form C:/foo
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:12:52 +0100

Cc: address@hidden
From: Benoit Sigoure <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:30:59 +0100

It will be supported in the next release of Make.  For now, try the
patch from here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2006-08/msg00104.html

Note that after patching, you will need to regenerate the configure
script, then repeat the "./configure; make; make install" dance.

This patch is the first that I applied before building make.  And
after applying the patches, configure is automatically regenerated
thanks to the automatic dependencies installed by automake.  So yeah,
even with this patch, it doesn't work.

That's strange.  Can you show a short self-contained Makefile that
exhibits this problem with the Cygwin port of Make?

address@hidden ~ $ make -p VPATH=.. | grep -A2 -i vpath
[...]
--
# VPATH Search Paths

# No `vpath' search paths.

# General (`VPATH' variable) search path:
# ..

Here the VPATH build is correctly enabled.

address@hidden ~ $ make -p VPATH=C:/cygwin | grep -A2 -i vpath
[...]
--
# VPATH Search Paths

# No `vpath' search paths.

# No general (`VPATH' variable) search path.

# # of strings in strcache: 0

Oops, no VPATH (this behavior is commonly observed when the VPATH variable contains non-existent paths).

address@hidden ~ $ make -p VPATH=C:/ | grep -A2 -i vpath
[...]
--
# VPATH Search Paths

# No `vpath' search paths.

# General (`VPATH' variable) search path:
# /

Oops, `C:/' is not `/'.

I triple checked that `make' does invoke /usr/local/bin/make which is my own version of make with the 2 patches applied [1], and not the stock /usr/bin/make installed by Cygwin.

[1]
  http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/make-3.81-cygwin.patch
  http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/make-3.81-cygwin_MAKE_expansion.patch
The first of these two patches is the one that was mentioned by Eli above.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory