Help on Windows pipe processing

From: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
Subject: Help on Windows pipe processing
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:48:24 +0700

Hi,

Let me introduce a bit. I'm working on porting busybox's ash shell to
Windows as part of an attempt to bring Git to Windows without MSYS or
Cygwin dependency. I knew from Git mailing list you guys were Windows
FLOSS experts. So please help this poor FLOSS developer :-)

I concern about Windows pipe behavior. I make a pipe to connect two
programs together. The first program feeds the second  one. Things
worked fine until I found that if the second one dies soon, the first
one won't notice and keep feeding the pipe until it blocks itself.

I attach three programs to demonstrate that. a.c is the feeder. b.c is
the consumer (it actually does not consume anything, just dies out).
c.c is the one that connects a and b together.  You run c.exe, then
look at file "o" or process list. In a perfect world, a.exe should
exit and we should get 999 in "o".

Did I make anything wrong?
--
Duy