Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:56:08 -0700

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 02:25:21AM -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

On the other hand, what packages have 100K files?  If there's only one
-- the Linux kernel -- then I think this kind of performance is for
all practical purposes unimportant on Windows, because while it is
reasonable to assume that someone would like to use git on Windows,
assuming that someone will develop the Linux kernel on Windows is --
how should I put it -- _really_ far-fetched ;-)

Oh, I wish others could think this clearly.  Quoting a serious line off of
a task list at an unnamed company:

  - Make Linux kernel compile under windows.

I don't think it will move past just being a wish list item, but there seem
to be people that think it should be done.

Admittedly, they don't want developers doing it on windows, but want to
integrate kernel building into a windows-heavy build and release process.

David