Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:27:18 +0200

> Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:36:53 -0700
> From: Howard Chu <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> IMO the objections to requiring MSYS/Cygwin on Windows made no sense in this
> discussion.

Believe me, it does make sense to some.  In a nutshell, if you use
Cygwin or MSYS, you are forced to use them, and them alone, as there
are subtle incompatibilities with other kinds of programs that can
drive you up the wall sometimes.

> "Make" is inherently a POSIX command line tool.

It's no more POSIX that `ls'.  I hope you won't try to claim that `ls'
doesn't make sense outside of a POSIX environment.

> Anybody using it on Windows needs a POSIX environment already
> anyway.

Not really.  Make is just a program to invoke other programs given a
set of rules.  It only (loosely) assumes that those programs produce
files, and doesn't care much about anything else.  Since not only
POSIX tools can produce files, Make does not require a POSIX
environment.