Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:36:53 -0700

Paul Smith wrote:
It looks like this discussion may have been premature, perhaps by as
little as a few weeks or so, based on the fact that Savannah has
Subversion support in beta right now and that there seems to be a lot of
action around GIT support on Windows that is being published either now
or very shortly.

So, let's table this discussion for the time being.  We'll revisit it
later this year when hopefully some things have shaken out.

In the meantime I'm going to play with some of these other tools.  If
you (esp. non-Linux users) have time to try them out as well I'd really
appreciate any suggestions you come up with.

IMO the objections to requiring MSYS/Cygwin on Windows made no sense in this discussion. "Make" is inherently a POSIX command line tool. Anybody using it on Windows needs a POSIX environment already anyway. Whether or not you're building Windows-native code with it doesn't really enter the equation.

Aside from that, happy to leave this for later.
--
  -- Howard Chu