Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Steffen Prohaska
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:23:37 +0200

Cc: Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, make- address@hidden
From: Steffen Prohaska <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:56:40 +0200

While we are at that: can you (or someone else) point me to
instructions on how to build the MinGW port of GIT? I found a tarball of the MinGW-ported GIT (v1.5.3, I think), but what I don't seem to be
able to find is some kind of HOWTO: what tools I need to have
installed, how to configure them (if there are any special issues
there), what command(s) to type, etc. Is there anything like that out
there, or can someone post such instructions?

If you want to have a full working development environment, such that
you can start contributing to msysgit right away, and have no firewall
issues, go to

        http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

and install GitMe, currently

        http://msysgit.googlecode.com/files/GitMe-0.4.2.exe

If you only care about an end-user setup, which contains only the git
binaries on your system, but no tools to compile them, stay tuned for
one or two days. We'll release an updated installer soon.

Sorry I wasn't clear: I want neither.  I don't think I will have
enough free time to become an active contributor to GIT any time
soon.  OTOH, since binaries are not available (and I'd prefer a
tarball as opposed to an installer, to be more in control of what's
being installed and where),

Ok, so I uploaded the most recent preview of the installer to

http://msysgit.googlecode.com/files/WinGit-1.5.3-preview20071010.exe

Note, we're about to release an updated version soon. Personally,
I don't plan to put work in providing tar balls. A working installer
has higher priority for me.

I asked about the development tools
(compiler and Binutils, obviously, but what else?) required to build
the source tarball with MinGW tools.

Do I understand correctly that building GIT currently requires MSYS?
That'd be unfortunate, at least for me.

msysgit's GitMe contains all tools from MSYS required to build git.
It also clones the git source and compiles it. It doesn't install
anything outside the folder that you chose upon installation.

I strongly believe it is the easiest way to compile git from source.

        Steffen