Re: Switching from CVS to GIT

From: Johannes Sixt
Subject: Re: Switching from CVS to GIT
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:39:33 +0200

Benoit SIGOURE schrieb:
Context: GNU make seems to be willing to switch from CVS to ... something else.

On Oct 14, 2007, at 6:57 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

[...] the big thing no one else seems to have addressed much in
other discussions I've seen is portability.  It LOOKS like there are
native ports of GIT to MINGW, but I have no idea how complete and usable
they are.  If someone who has a Windows system could look into that it
would be a big help.

I think the best thing to do is to ask directly on the Git ML.

Someone already pointed out that he'd like to use Git on Windows but doesn't want to install either Cygwin or MSYS. Is this possible, or will it be possible in the near future? Is it possible to use one of the various GUIs (git-gui, gitk, qgit) on Windows without requiring a POSIXish shell etc.?

FWIW, I'm using the MinGW port from cmd.exe, i.e. not from a posix shell, on a *production* repository. gitk and git-gui work. Not all operations that I regularly use are available[*] via the GUIs, like git-rebase or non-fast-forwarding push, so the use of the command line is needed from time to time.

Unfortunately, "Fetch" does not yet work[*] from within git-gui, so you have to fall back to git-fetch on the command line.

Of course, the Posix toolset, including a shell, must still be installed (and in my setup they are in the PATH), but you don't have to use it.

[*] Note the distinction between "not available" and "does not work".

-- Hannes