Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:55:06 +0200

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 21:16:31 +0800
> From: "Yongwei Wu" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > > I was frustrated by the fact that Batch files do not support things
> > > like "echo -n" and "`cmd`", so resorting to a Shell script was really
> > > a desperate hack.
> >
> > Well, actually `cmd` _is_ supported, but only in newer versions of
> > Windows (W2K and later), and I didn't want to limit users to those
> > versions.
>
> Bother to elaborate more?  I have no knowledge about this.  I made a
> very simple test on my XP box, and do not have a clue.

It's buried in the FOR command, where you wouldn't dream of looking
for it.  Type "for /?" and read the part about the "for /f" option,
you will see that backticks are supported.  It is a trivial exercise
to make a FOR loop that loops exactly once and uses `foo`.

Still, it's not as advanced as the Unixy shell `foo` feature; in
particular, redirection in the `foo` command can be tricky or even
downright impossible.