Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box

From: Yongwei Wu
Subject: Re: Make CVS HEAD version build out of the box
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 22:36:41 +0800

On 01/10/2007, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:12:41 +0800
> > From: "Yongwei Wu" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > (Slapping myself) sorry for my folly.  With your information I
> > successfully built Make under Cygwin:
> >
> > autoreconf -i
> > ./configure --build=i686-pc-mingw32 CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'
> > cd w32 && make && cd ..
> > make make.exe
>
> Beware: the make.exe binary produced in this way is not guaranteed to
> behave like intended.  This is because this way of building a native
> Windows port of Make is not officially supported.  As one caveat, you
> will see that config.h.W32.template has near its end a few symbols
> whose definition changes Make's behavior wrt program invocation with
> various shells you might have installed: I'm not sure what the
> configure script does with those definitions, so please at least look
> at those symbols and verify that the binary you produced will behave
> as you'd like it to.

I checked config.h, and the only things I have some doubts are:

/* Define to the character that separates directories in PATH. */
#define PATH_SEPARATOR_CHAR ':'

/* Define to the name of the SCCS 'get' command. */
#define SCCS_GET "get"

I also doubt config.h.W32.template may be a little out of date.  It
defines some macros that are never used, like HAVE_LONG_FILE_NAMES and
HAVE_STRFTIME.

Comments?

> > I saw now the way my copying config.h.W32.template to config.h was not
> > correct.  Do I have to manually replace %PACKAGE% and %VERSION%?  Is
> > there an easy way?
>
> Well, you could edit it with Sed, instead of just copying.  Someone
> who dares to build a CVS version can be expected to have Sed
> installed.

I mean, which is the official position where I can grab the version
number (instead of running autoreconf)?

Best regards,

Yongwei

--