RE: question about GNU Make

From: Leeuwesteijn, Joost
Subject: RE: question about GNU Make
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:31:06 +0200

> 1. where do I find the "make" program?

Have you tried "GNU make" in Google? :-)

> 2. how and where should it be istalled? (what is an effect of
> this instalation and does it matter in which directory it is
> installed?)

It doesn't matter. It's just a single make(.exe) file, you can put it anywhere.

The page also contains a link to the manual:
www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/

I compiled it for Windows, using the MS Visual Studio compiler etc, straight
from the package.
You can probably also find pre-built executables for Windows.

> I am using windows XP and a free g95 fortran compiler.
[...]
> In order to compile this project on the Unix/Linux system,

Are you using Windows or *nix?

> the syntax of the "make" for this particular problem was:
> % make COMPILER=COMP
> where COMP is the name of the compiler (in this case it will be g95)
> Successful compilation should produce an executable called
> "example1" in the "Example" subdirectory.
> 3. what will be exactly the syntax of this command for
> windows in such a case?

See manual.

> 4. should it be invoked from the directory in which the
> "Makefile" exists?

Not necessarily.As long as make can find the make file.
It also depends on the make file (does it use relative paths, etc.).

> In order to run the project on the Unix/Linux system, the syntax was:
> % ../example1 < example.in > example.out &
> where example1 is the name of the executable, example.in and
> example.out are respectively the input and output files used
> by the executable, and they are in another subdirectory.
>
> Could you please guide me step by step and as simple as
> possible how to solve this problem, (compile and run)?

(Sounds like a school assignment to me ;-) )

Help you run a random executable you're trying to build? What's the point?
Didn't you just write down the syntax yourself?
" ../example1 < example.in > example.out" also works on Windows, you just can't
use the & to do background execution.

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn

---

This communication contains confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please return this email to the sender and delete it from
your records.

Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Sollten Sie nicht der
beabsichtigte Empfänger dieser E-mail sein, senden Sie bitte diese an den
Absender zurück und löschen Sie die E-mail aus Ihrem System.