make fails when quote marks are encountered - SOLVED (??)

From: Daniel Mendyke
Subject: make fails when quote marks are encountered - SOLVED (??)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:51:05 -0700

In answer to your question about where my version of 'make' came from,
I installed Dev-Cpp on my system which included 'make' 3.80.  Then I
used the package installation feature of Dev-Cpp to upgraded to 'make' 3.81,
using the package found at http://www.devpaks.org.

With all the talk about this being an issue with the SHELL I checked my
registry carefully and discovered the following key with value:

"My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun"

This key/value was running a batch file hidden in the system.  it contained
startup parameters and values for CMD.  After removing this key 'make' was
no longer bothered by quote marks in Makefiles.

'cmd' provides the /D option to disable running the value found at this key.

Although 'make' now works on my development machine I have not yet been
unable to duplicate the error on another windows XP machine.  It may take
testing the different settings in the startup batch file AutoRun called.

-Daniel