Re: MSVS 2005 and Gnu Make

From: Bob Van Tuyl
Subject: Re: MSVS 2005 and Gnu Make
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 01:48:31 -0700

Jon:

Thanks.  I had installed the Platform SDK, but not VS8 SP1.  I installed VS8 SP1.

The 2005 compiler is not very forgiving of mixing different size integers, calling functions with the wrong types, and other similar mismatches.  It also wants the old functions that do not have size limits in them to be tossed out of the code.  Happily, most can be overcome with appropriate configuration definitions.  Other errors or warnings require casting to make the warning or error go away.

BTW, the /TC option did not affect at least one of the errors/warnings that I had to suppress.  I just tried it after I managed to get everything to compile.  I am now going through the #define one by one and looking at the individual lines to see if the error/warning can be suppressed with a cast or other slight change in code (like defining a local int as the other type in the assignment).

It is now compiling and linking.  I'll try the tests tomorrow.

Bob Van Tuyl

Jon Grant wrote:
Hi Bob Van Tuyl,

I've not seen this issue myself. Make builds fine with my MS VC
Express 2005 x86.

Have you applied VS8 SP1 ? Have you installed the Platform SDK? Have
you got CRT/include  in your Additional Include directories? Have you
locally modified any include files? the SP1 update won't work if you
have.

I just googled and it looks like the SP1 update did not apply
correctly for some people and they had to do a full MSVC 2005
uninstall, and then install a fresh download of SP1.

Perhaps you can try different project settings and let us know what
you discover.
Does changing the properties to  Configuration Properties -> C/C++
->Advanced -> Compile As "Compile as C Code (/TC)"  make any
difference?

BTW, your text arrived on the mailing-list in a very large HTML
format, could you post in text if possible.

Let us know how you get on, and we can update README.W32 if there
needs to be some additional information in it!

Kind regards, Jon