Native WIN32 GNU make?

From: Mark Txx
Subject: Native WIN32 GNU make?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 16:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

background:
We currently use GNU make to build on Solaris, Linux and Windows XP + 2000. On Windows, we use cygwin and make 3.80 that is built to run with cygwin.
We use a project build system that is similar to the one in discussed in "Managing Projects with GNU Make" by Mecklenburg. Lately we have experienced quite a few difficulties with our Windows builds with "Resource temporarily unavailable". Only machines with a large amount of RAM can build successfully. Research on the web shows that this related to the use of anti-virus or other intrusive software. Unfortunately the solution offered, remove the anti-virus SW, is not acceptable to our IT group.

Has anybody used recent "native" WIN32 versions of GNU make with alternative shells such as sh.exe that comes in UnxUtils.zip? We do not use many UNIX commands beyond, sed, rm etc so we are not that demanding of our shell but I would hate use DOS. Are there any other open source shells for WIN32?

Any other "native" WIN32 solutions? such as mingw

I tried to build a native WIN32 GNU make 3.80 with the instructions in README.W32 but I had no success.

thanks for any tips,
Mark

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.