Re: directory caching anomalies in win32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: directory caching anomalies in win32
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:26:27 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Aaron Shatters <address@hidden>
>
> Furthermore, even if the file system updated the mtime on the directory
> immediately, you can actually mess make up by using $(shell copy nul
> somefile), then $(wildcard somefile), then $(shell copy nul somefile2), then
> $(wildcard somefile2)... as long as somefile and somefile2 didn't exist when
> make was called.  This is because mtime only has a resolution of seconds, so
> any file you create within a 0-1 seconds of the last cache will be invisible
> to make.  This is the third problem that I faced.

Patches are welcome to get the Windows port to use the sub-second time
resolution that is used by other platforms.  NTFS filesystems have
100-nanosecond resolution, so in principle we could do much better
than 1 second.  Make already has a framework to do that on Posix
platforms; all that is missing is to plug Windows into that framework.

Thanks in advance.