Re: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:07:06 -0400

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 14:27 -0700, Aaron Shatters wrote:
> On windows, for the $(shell ...) function, stdout for the child
> process that executes the shell command line is piped to a stream that
> is read from the parent process.  After the parent process reads the
> stream into a buffer, it doesn't print it to stdout... it just puts
> the results into the variable buffer.
>
> I think that this is a problem.

It is NOT a problem; this is exactly what the shell function is supposed
to do.  The stdout of the command invoked is used as the expanded value
of the shell function.  No part of stdout is actually printed to stdout.

The shell function is essentially a make implementation of the POSIX
shell `` (backticks) function.