Re: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: $(shell ...) and SHELL problems in 3.81
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 06:16:56 +0300

> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:59:13 -0400
> From: Christopher Faylor <address@hidden>
>
> Please don't bother reporting problems to the Cygwin mailing list if the
> problem is due to the use of a non-POSIX shell in make.  That is not
> supported.  It goes against the whole concept of Cygwin.

I think you interpret the problem incorrectly.  GNU Make allows any
program to be used as SHELL, and promises only that the named SHELL
will be called once for each command it runs.  I'd be surprised to
learn that the Cygwin port withdraws from this promise of GNU Make,
which works on all Posix platforms.