Re: Complex pattern rules broken in win32-make (MINGW).

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Complex pattern rules broken in win32-make (MINGW).
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 23:45:42 -0500

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 06:28 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > This rule breaks down:
> >
> > obj\%.o: src\%.c
> >
> > This should however be handled correctly on windows... no ?
>
> It cannot be fixed easily, as the backslash is required to be able to
> use a literal percent character.

Eli is correct.  The GNU make manual defines the sequence "\%" to be a
literal "%" (the backslash escapes the percent so it's not treated as a
pattern match character).

It's remotely possible that you can get what you want this way:

  obj\\%.o: src\\%.c

since GNU make defines that a backslash can be used to escape a
backslash that would otherwise escape a percent; so the above should
resolve to what you want.

However, I can't say for sure this will work.  In general it's best to
follow Eli's excellent advice and use "/" instead of "\" in your
makefiles, even on Windows.