Re: performance issue with cgywin make

From: Bill Hoffman
Subject: Re: performance issue with cgywin make
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 23:09:13 -0500

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Thanks.

Why should the msvcrt _stat be slow?  I wouldn't assume that to be the case.
We did not assume it would be slow either. However, at some point we made the change in cmake because we found that much of the run time on windows was spent in stat, and that linux stat times were a much smaller part of the run time. I do not remember the exact numbers, but I do remember it being a significant speed up, 2 to 3 times faster. I will see if I can create a test case that uses both. The only thing I can figure is that the stat call may do some sort of memory allocation and copy to get from the native windows structures to the POSIX's structure.
-Bill