Re: performance issue with cgywin make

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: performance issue with cgywin make
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:59:05 -0500

Quoting Bill Hoffman <address@hidden>:

So, if I run gmake (the patched cygwin version) and nmake (Microsoft's make) on roughly the same tree. (CMake can generate files for either.) nmake is able to check the depend information about twice as fast as gmake can. I suspect that the problem is in the use of stat. Although windows/ cygwin provide stat, there are significantly faster versions of stat available via direct windows system calls. We had a similar problem in CMake, and use the following code in windows to compare times stamps of

Cygwin's performance of stat shouldn't be a concern for this list. Take it back to the cygwin users list please. Alternatives to stat using the windows API though may be a different issue for the native version. You won't be able to use those alternatives for Cygwin or MSYS.

Earnie Boyd
--
Please post responsibly:
* Use text posts instead of html; many list members just trash mail with html.

Save on your shoes, socks and other needs:
http://give-me-an-offer.com/store/shoes

Save on your baby gift needs:
http://give-me-an-offer.com/offers/products/baby

Playstation 3 Auctions