Re: Problem with escaped parens

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with escaped parens
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:25:44 +0200

> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:24:38 +0000
> From: Jon Grant <address@hidden>
>
> I'm running 3.81beta4 and 3.80 on Kubuntu 6.06 Linux x86 and see this
> parenthesis problem with the attached test Makefile too.
>
> $ make -f Makefile_parenthesis_test
> make: *** No rule to make target `Program Files/\(x86\)/test.c', needed
> by `all'. Stop.
>
> Therefore, is this issue actually present on *all* the GNU Make builds?

And I see the same on a Debian box with the released Make 3.81.

So this is a general problem, not something related to the drive
letter patch, nor something special to the Cygwin port in general.

Paul, can you please comment on this?  I think the parens are treated
specially because of the support for archive members, but perhaps I'm
mistaken.