Re: Variable assignments from shell commands

From: kacrock5
Subject: Re: Variable assignments from shell commands
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:09:49 -0600

Gentlemen,

I stand corrected.  I did a simple test from a Dos shell I it does work.

I have also determined that it doesn't work from the Eclipse plug-in that was built in-house at my company.  This was why I reported it.  Now I get to report it to our tools group instead.

Thanks for you time and effort and sorry for not verifying this from the Dos shell first.

Kent.

Kent A. Crockett
address@hidden
(319) 295-3387 (onsite)
(319) 294-8144x16 (offsite)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

11/03/2006 09:47 AM

Please respond to
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

address@hidden
cc
address@hidden
Subject
Re: Variable assignments from shell commands

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:45:02 -0600
>
> According to section 8.11 of the gnu manual, I should be able to use the
> shell command to assign a variable.  However, this doesn't work.

It does for me.

> I've tried assigning the variable from outside a rule but the command does
> not get executed and the variable is empty.  The only time the shell
> command is executed is from within a rule but variable assignments within
> rule is not allowed.
>
>      contents := $(shell cat foo)

Please show the shortest self-contained Makefile that can be used to
reproduce the problem, and please tell what port of which version of
Make do you have installed.  The $shell function works for me in Make
3.81 compiled with MinGW port of GCC.