Variable assignments from shell commands

From: kacrock5
Subject: Variable assignments from shell commands
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:45:02 -0600

According to section 8.11 of the gnu manual, I should be able to use the shell command to assign a variable.  However, this doesn't work.

I've tried assigning the variable from outside a rule but the command does not get executed and the variable is empty.  The only time the shell command is executed is from within a rule but variable assignments within rule is not allowed.

     contents := $(shell cat foo)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kent