Limitation compared to Cygwin make

From: Offner, Georg
Subject: Limitation compared to Cygwin make
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 15:11:18 +0100

Hi all,

I'm dealing with a large C project under Win XP using make 3.81 for w32.
Setting up the makefile and adding more and more files I ran into problems.

For easier understanding I reduced the problem to the following:
My list of files (let's say for simplicity they are all in the same directory) comprises 500 files. Compiling in the source folder is no problem.
Now I add an object path to the make rule to get the binaries in a different folder.
When the object path exceeds 20 characters, make breaks with:

process_begin: CreateProcess(C:\DOCUME~1\go\LOCALS~1\Temp\make1636-1.bat, C:\DOCUME~1\go\LOCALS~1\Temp\make1636-1.bat, ...) failed.
make (e=87): The parameter is incorrect.
make: *** [PLATFORM/StarTarget7/OUT/lib/crtl/time/GETTMOD.d] Error 87

No difference when I use sh.exe as shell.
I read about the command line limitation problem, but I do not see a command line limitation, as make breaks, regardless if there is really a rule having parameters or not. It even seems to be of no influence what the rule really holds.

And finally: using the Cygnus version of make, and can have more than 1500 files and the object path is only limited by a file name limitation of 232 characters, everything still fine.

Anything I can do to get the w32 make working properly? Anything I did not regard?
Please let me know, if you need more information.
Thanks for help!

Regards,
 Georg