Re: Compile group of modules

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Compile group of modules
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:42:57 -0400

On Tuesday, 17 October, Ken Smith (address@hidden) wrote:

> > clean_all: $(MODULES)
> >     $(foreach MOD,$(MODULES),make -C $(MOD) clean;)

You should always, always use $(MAKE) in your rules to invoke a sub-make,
NEVER plain "make".

> > The problem is that for win32 systems, semicolon is invalid character
> > (maybe it should be replaced with &&, but this is illegal from the make
> > parser side)

There's nothing illegal about && from the make parser side.  In fact, make
doesn't do any parsing whatsoever of command lines other than expanding
variables: it just passes everything to the shell and lets the shell sort
it out.