Compile group of modules

From: Uri Shkolnik
Subject: Compile group of modules
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

I have a versatile list of modules (it may be changed according to the
application I build)
Each module has its own makefile that resides in the module's directory.
I would like to execute all relevant makefiles.

The major obstacle (?) is that I must use make v3.78.1 @ win32 (windows)
environment.

The "classic" solution (for U*X systems)  should be something like:

MODULES := $(UTIL_MODULE) $(GEN_MODULE)  $(DSP_MODULE)
clean_all: $(MODULES)
    $(foreach MOD,$(MODULES),make -C $(MOD) clean;)

The problem is that for win32 systems, semicolon is invalid character (maybe it
should be replaced with &&, but this is illegal from the make parser side (I
think))

Removing the semicolon cause error after the first loop -

        << ...cleaning process for first interaction... >>
        *** No rule to make target 'make'.  Stop.

Anyone has an idea how to solve this problem?

I'm novice to "make", so please do not use insider terminology.... :)