Re: Crash with recursive make

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Crash with recursive make
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 11:21:29 +0200

> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:11:24 +0100
> From: "John Hall" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
>
> Investigating further, make is crashing in windows32_openpipe while
> evaluating the expression:
>
>       VERSION_STRING = $(shell cat $(VERSION_TXT))
>
> where cat is a Windows native version of cat from unxutils
> (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/).

And what is $(VERSION_TXT)?  Can you show the contents of that file
here?  Also, what is the shell used by Make on your system?

FWIW, I cannot reproduce this with the following minimal Makefile:

VERSION_TXT = version.txt
VERSION_STRING = $(shell cat $(VERSION_TXT))

all:
        echo $(VERSION_STRING)

However, my cat.exe is from GnuWin32 site, not from unxutils.  I'm not
sure if this matters.  I tried the above Makefile both with a native
Windows port of zsh and with SHELL=cmd.exe, which causes Make 3.81 to
invoke CMD.  Make didn't crash in either case.

> The call to CreatePipe succeeds, but the second call to _open_osfhandle
> fails, with EBADF and ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE. The code does not currently
> check the return code to either of the calls to _open_osfhandle.

Thanks for the analysis, I will look into this.