Re: [Angelo.Graziosi: Problems with patched gnu make ? (was:Need Volunte

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: [Angelo.Graziosi: Problems with patched gnu make ? (was:Need Volunteers to test patch for gnu make)]
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 23:52:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:59:00 -0400
> >
> > I use this since Sep 08, but now I have found a problem with
> > http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe.
>
> What is this URL?  Are you sure this is the binary compiled from
> official Make 3.81 distribution patched by the HAVE_DOS_PATHS patch
> and nothing else?

I have used the executable downloaded from the cited link which I found in
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-09/msg00131.html.

> > When I build GFortran with this version of make it fails:
> > rm -f ./libgcov.a
> > ar  rc ./libgcov.a libgcc/./_gcov.o libgcc/./_gcov_merge_add.o
> > libgcc/./_gcov_merge_single.o libgcc/./_gcov_merge_delta.o
> > libgcc/./_gcov_fork.o libgcc/./_gcov_execl.o libgcc/./_gcov_execlp.o
> > libgcc/./_gcov_execle.o libgcc/./_gcov_execv.o libgcc/./_gcov_execvp.o
> > libgcc/./_gcov_execve.o libgcc/./_gcov_interval_profiler.o
> > libgcc/./_gcov_pow2_profiler.o libgcc/./_gcov_one_value_profiler.o
> > ranlib ./libgcov.a
> > make[4]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build/gcc'
> > make[3]: *** No rule to make target `cpp.texi', needed by
> > `doc/cpp.info'.  Stop.
> > make[3]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build/gcc'
> > make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build'
> > make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Angelo/Downloads/GFortran/gcc/.build'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
> >

> > Using the official version in Cygwin of make (make-3.81-1) the build
> > is completed without problem:

When I have seen that fail, I mailed a similar report to Fortran list and
they '...verify if you have all the needed tool...': but I had build
GFortran less than a month ago and the only thing that could influence the
build was MAKE. So I rebuild with the official MAKE in Cygwin and it was
completed as the others I did and the new GFortran works!

> Thanks for testing and for reporting this, but please show at least
> the offending dependency (the one which the patched Make reports as
> missing above, but the unpatched Make does find).  My crystal ball
> says that VPATH or vpath might be the culprit, so please try to look
> at those, and if VPATH is not the problem, please try to analyze the
> reasons for the failure and show the suspect parts of the Makefile(s).
>
> If nothing gives the clue, I guess posting here the full output of
> "make -d" in both cases would be the way to go.

I will try but you should to have in mind that building GFortran takes
almost 7-8 hours on AMD Duron 1.3 GHz 256 MB!

   Angelo.