Re: mingw make problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mingw make problem
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:34:40 -0400

> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:08:12 -0400
> From: "William A. Hoffman" <address@hidden>
>
> So, I guess you can say running mingw make from a cygwin shell is not
> supported.

I don't think the issue is with the shell from which you run Make, I
think the issue is which sh.exe is being invoked by Make.  Can you
verify that, i.e. run Make from the CMD command window, but leave
sh.exe on your Windows Path?  Does Make fail in that case?

> But if you can not run mingw make from an msys shell then what is the point of
> looking for sh.exe in the PATH and setting it to be the shell, if it is not
> supported?

Because, evidently, Cygwin sh.exe and MSYS sh.exe are not the only
shells in town ;-)

> One more thing, do you think this discussion would be better on the mingw or
> msys mailing list?

I think this list is entirely appropriate, since it's about
compatibility between the native Make port and various shells.  We at
first suspected that CreateProcess is being called inside Make with a
wrong command line, which is a Make issue, not a Cygwin/MSYS issue.
Now, that the conclusion was that the problem happens on the shell
side, it would be good to take this to the MSYS list and try to see
whether someone there could help untangle the problem which we think
happens inside the ported Bash.