Re: mingw make problem

From: William A. Hoffman
Subject: Re: mingw make problem
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:03:47 -0400

At 05:28 AM 8/21/2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>I think we've already established that CreateProcess has nothing to do
>with the problem.  I think the problem is that Bash (which receives
>the command line passed by CreateProcess) somehow removes the quotes
>from the command line before it passes it to the application, but
>that's just a guess.  One way to try to prove or disprove this guess
>is build a native binary after you define HAVE_CYGWIN_SHELL in
>config.h (see the commentary near the end of config.h.W32), it sounds
>like that option was provided precisely to cater to these situations.

OK, I tried that and it does not work.

// native make build with HAVE_CYGWIN_SHELL
$ ../make-3.81/WinRel/make
c:/Hoffman/testmake/runit.exe "a.c" "b.c"
command line = {c:\Hoffman\testmake\runit.exe "a.c b.c\\"}
argv[0] = {c:\Hoffman\testmake\runit.exe}
argv[1] = {a.c b.c\}

I did find another data point, it seems that this used
to work in make 3.79.1 that came with msys:

address@hidden ~/testmake
$ /cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin/make --version
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.

address@hidden ~/testmake
$ /cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin/make
c:/Hoffman/testmake/runit.exe "a.c" "b.c"
command line = {c:\Hoffman\testmake\runit.exe a.c b.c }
argv[0] = {c:\Hoffman\testmake\runit.exe}
argv[1] = {a.c}
argv[2] = {b.c}

-Bill