Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fix for HAVE_DOS_PATHS build on cygwin
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:41:01 +0300

> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:21:31 -0400
> From: Christopher Faylor <address@hidden>
>
> It does make me wonder what kind of quoting problems we'd see with
> HAVE_DOS_PATHS, though.  On cygwin, I wouldn't want every backslash to
> be interpreted as part of a path name "just in case".

If we want the Cygwin port to support c:\foo\bar, there's no other way
I know of.  If the Cygwin port should support only c:/foo/bar, then
that particular code fragment should be ifdef'ed away for Cygwin.

What is best should be decided by the Cygwin community, so you may
wish to discuss this on the Cygwin list.  (If it matters, my advice
would be to allow only the forward slashes for the Cygwin port, as it
gives enough rope to get things done for minimal risk, and because
backslashes are not 100% supported even in the native builds.)

Whatever the decision, this is precisely the reason why the patch we
eventually decide upon should be tested with as many Cygwin Makefile's
as possible.