Re: cygwin patch for gnu make ( change from 3.80 to 3.81)

From: William A. Hoffman
Subject: Re: cygwin patch for gnu make ( change from 3.80 to 3.81)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:39:44 -0400

At 04:16 PM 8/16/2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:58:44 -0400
>> From: "William A. Hoffman" <address@hidden>
>>
>> So, I guess this is a feature request.   It would be nice to have
>> a mode in gnu make that supported posix's paths with windows drive
>> letter specifications.
>
>I don't think there's a need for a special mode; see below.
>
>> The big issue to me seems to be:
>>
>> target: c:/my/file.c
>>   cl c:/my/file.c -o target
>>

>> Make get confused with the : in the path.  Is there some syntax that
>> can be added to gnu make to support the specification of drive letter
>> mounts.
>
>GNU Make already has code to handle this on DOS/Windows platforms: see
>the parts conditioned by HAVE_DOS_PATHS.  All you need to do is make
>sure that symbol is defined in the Cygwin build.  But please go
>through the code under that condition and verify that it does TRT for
>Cygwin.
>
>If you are thinking about literal `:' characters in file names, then I
>don't think this is possible, even with Cygwin: MS-Windows doesn't
>allow such characters in file names, except after the drive letter.
>So I don't see anything that Make should do for Cygwin that it doesn't
>do for the native Windows builds.  In particular, there's no need for
>a special mode of Make; this support for drive letters can be always
>on.  Or am I missing something?

No you are not missing anything.  I will try HAVE_DOS_PATHS.  If that
works, and there is agreement with the cygwin folks, I would like
to have the build process changed gnu make so that the default build
on cygwin defines HAVE_DOS_PATHS.  What process would I have to follow
to have that change made.

Thanks.

-Bill