Re: FWD: Re: 3.81 and windows paths

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: 3.81 and windows paths
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:46:14 -0400

Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:53:06 -0400
From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

I wanted to be able to use the ``native'' version of make with
MSYS but I've found that if make creates a configure process and I
interrupt make with CTRL-C then the configure script continues to
execute.

Is that in Make 3.81?  If so, it could be that the necessary code is
not compiled somehow in your native Windows binary.

Yes, 3.81.  I haven't had time to research it yet.

The problem is that, when you interrupt a console application on
Windows, the OS creates a new thread and runs the signal handler
inside that thread, while the main thread continues to run.  In Make
3.81, I added special code that stops the main thread in its tracks
when the signal handler is entered.  The two parts of this code are in
job.c (search for GetCurrentThread) and in commands.c, in the function
fatal_error_signal.  Both places condition the code on WINDOWS32;
perhaps your build somehow skipped that.

Alternatively, maybe the MSYS port of Bash does something that results
in this strange behavior.

Since I haven't had the time to look yet, it could be a problem for either MSYS, make or both. Thanks for the pointers for WINDOWS32, my guess at the moment though is that WINDOWS32 was set since _WIN32 is set but I'll have to spend some time once I have MSYS-1.0.11 released. I'm leaning toward the problem being that MSYS just closes the pipes and make process without triggering a signal to make.

Earnie Boyd

http://shop.siebunlimited.com