Re: FWD: Re: 3.81 and windows paths

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: 3.81 and windows paths
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:53:06 -0400

Quoting "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>:

FYI; Brian provides some critical information we need to know.  I fully
expect we'll see a bunch more people asking for help as a result of this
change in the Cygwin environment, so it's good that we are aware of it.

I think one less customized version of GNU make will simplify things for
everyone in the longer term, though.

I'm happy to hear this as well. With MSYS the POSIX paths are converted automatically to Windows paths for the ``native'' version of tools. I wanted to be able to use the ``native'' version of make with MSYS but I've found that if make creates a configure process and I interrupt make with CTRL-C then the configure script continues to execute. I'll have to determine the cause and effect of the signal not responding in MSYS before I can use the native version. I'm working on releasing MSYS 1.0.11 which will contain an MSYS build of make-3.81.

The solution for Cygwin and windows paths is to build a ``native'' version of make, name it differently than the Cygwin build and use that for the make files containing commands to cl or mingw gcc.

Earnie Boyd

http://shop.siebunlimited.com