Re: Temporary files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Temporary files
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:30:27 +0300

> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 05:37:40 +0000
> From: Greg Chicares <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 2006-6-8 5:08 UTC, Laiju Mathew wrote:
> >
> > After running a Gmake file on Windows, I see huge list of  files , all
> > about 1kB in the TEMP directory. The files are named make<number>.sh.
> > Each file has one command that is run by GMake. Are these files normally
> > deleted by GMake itself or should they deleted by the user ?
>
> I've seen this only as a result of forcibly interrupting make.

This shouldn't happen, either: Make should clean up those files even
if it is interrupted.  I just tried this with the Make 3.81, and it
seems to work fine.  If you have seen such problems in the latest
version, please post the recipe to reproduce them.

> If make was interrupted, then it probably could delete those files
> next time you run it

That would be a bug: the file could belong to a different instance of
Make running on the same machine.  That's why Make only deletes files
it knows positively that it itself created during this very run (it
keeps record of each temporary file it creates).