Re: Temporary files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Temporary files
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:19:11 +0300

> Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:38:22 +0530
> From: "Laiju Mathew" <address@hidden>
>
> After running a Gmake file on Windows, I see huge list of  files , all about
> 1kB in the TEMP directory. The files are named make<number>.sh. Each file
> has one command that is run by GMake. Are these files normally deleted by
> GMake itself or should they deleted by the user ?

They should be normally deleted by Make.

However, at least the latest two versions of Make (3.80 and 3.81)
don't create temporary *.sh files, they run the Unixy shell directly.
Temporary files are only created by Make for when the shell is
cmd.exe, in which case you should see make-NNN.bat files there.  What
version of Make do you have, and where did you get the binary?  If you
compiled the sources yourself, is it possible that you defined
BATCH_MODE_ONLY_SHELL in config.h?

Finally, versions of Make prior to 3.81 would leave temporary files
under the -n option, due to a bug.  Is it possible that you invoke
Make (or one of its sub-Make's) with the -n option?