Re: Temporary files

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: Temporary files
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 05:37:40 +0000

On 2006-6-8 5:08 UTC, Laiju Mathew wrote:

> After running a Gmake file on Windows, I see huge list of  files , all
> about 1kB in the TEMP directory. The files are named make<number>.sh.
> Each file has one command that is run by GMake. Are these files normally
> deleted by GMake itself or should they deleted by the user ?

I've seen this only as a result of forcibly interrupting make.
I've always just erased the files (after make has stopped
running, of course), and erasing them has never caused any
problem AFAIK. If make was interrupted, then it probably
could delete those files next time you run it, but I'd rather
it didn't: some other process might create a temporary file
that unintentionally uses the same naming convention, and
that might even be likely if you use more than one make
program.

If you're seeing these files created (and not removed) when
make runs normally, then it might help to say which version
of make you're using. Is it possible that permissions are
set so that make can create these files but isn't allowed
to remove them?