Re: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:56:47 +0000

On 2006-5-19 13:44 UTC, Leeuwesteijn,Joost wrote:
>>From: Greg Chicares [mailto:address@hidden
>
>>You can use Cygwin or MSYS to build native applications. I've used
>>MSYS to build gnu make-3.81 and gnu sed-4.0.7 from unmodified FSF
>>sources, for example. As you say, these native builds probably
>>perform better than other builds that require an emulation dll,
>>and not having to modify sources is a very good thing.
>
> I thought CygWin (and MSYS too, without MinGW? Does MSYS have gcc?) created
> NON-native (== DLL dependent) executables?

You can build native binaries, that don't depend on any posix-
emulation dll, with either Cygwin or MSYS and MinGW. With MSYS
and MinGW, you get native binaries by default; to produce a
dll-dependent binary, you need to download and use a separate
package.

> Does MSYS have gcc?)

Instead of trying to reinvent the FAQs, poorly, let me just
cite them:
  http://mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml
  http://mingw.org/MinGWiki
  http://cygwin.com/faq.html