RE: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: RE: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:44:18 +0200

> From: Greg Chicares [mailto:address@hidden

> I take "native" to mean not dependent on a posix-emulation library.

Correct.

> You can use Cygwin or MSYS to build native applications. I've used
> MSYS to build gnu make-3.81 and gnu sed-4.0.7 from unmodified FSF
> sources, for example. As you say, these native builds probably
> perform better than other builds that require an emulation dll,
> and not having to modify sources is a very good thing.

I thought CygWin (and MSYS too, without MinGW? Does MSYS have gcc?) created
NON-native (== DLL dependent) executables?

> > My main goal/concern is to put every tool, including its
> > source code, into our archive so it can be reproduced/debugged/modified
in
> > the future; in case of bugs, new requirements or when sites go down. It
should
> > be usable even after 5 (or 10?) years, and not refer to a 404 website.
> Would that be a public repository?

Well, uhm, not really :-) The repository I was talking about is our
production ClearCase archive :-) I'm trying to build a -very-
stable/reproducable build environment, including source when available. But
if I ever need to modify anything on open source tools I'll share
everything.

> Have you considered using
>   http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/mingwPORT
> ? As I understand it, mingwPORT hosts downloadable patch sets
> in a standard template format that makes it easy to grab them
> and build them with MSYS. It doesn't incorporate the full source
> code, but offers a facility to download it

Hmm, this looks like a MinGW attempt to copy GnuWin32 effort? Not sure if
that's a good thing.

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn