UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:23:54 +0200

Hi *,

This might be slightly off-topic but I think most people using GNU make &
Win32 run into this at some point so that's why I post this here.

Is anyone using UnxUtils (to get some highly required Unix-like features on
Win32) in his/her build environment? I'm using it for its native
gawk/grep/echo/sort/etc. See websites:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxutils

It is referenced quite a lot on the Net but the project doesn't seem to be
very active anymore.
Has anyone been able to compile these tools from source? I've downloaded the
source from its CVS but no luck compiling it. Support doesn't seem to be
available :-(

What other Unix tools are people using on Win32? What I've found so far:
- Cygwin
- MinGW
- GnuWin32

Any other (free, open source) tools I should know about?

What I liked about UnxUtils is that it's "native" Win32, no dependencies on
DLL's or anything and no strange directory requirements (home dirs, /cygdir,
etc). I was trying to put the tools into our archive, including source code,
so it can be maintained in case of (future) bugs/requirements or when the
site goes down. But it's not very useful if I can't get the source to
compile. How are all you people handling this?

The UnxUtils shell seems to behave a little strange as well; it produces
weird characters and beeps (terminal issues in combi with cmd.exe?). What
shells are other people using? Cmd.exe is getting better I must say, but a
bash.exe would be nice :-)

I put GNU make and it's source into our archive, compiled it using Visual C
6. No problem. I was hoping to do the same with other GNU tools but no luck
so far.

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn