Re: make does not stop on error

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: make does not stop on error
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 13:33:23 +0000

On 2006-5-7 19:07 UTC, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Using SHELL from the environment would be against the practice on
> Unix.  And using COMSPEC if SHELL is undefined will effectively make
> cmd.exe the default shell (because most users don't have SHELL in the
> environment).  That is a major change in the behavior; I'm not sure
> whether we should make such a change.

I wouldn't necessarily oppose changing it, but an incompatible change
in a longstanding, documented behavior ought to require a compelling
justification, with careful analysis of what existing practices it
would break and clear instructions on how to fix the breakage. That
burden of proof has not yet been met.