Re: make does not stop on error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make does not stop on error
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 22:07:46 +0300

> Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 11:45:26 -0400
> From: Earnie Boyd <address@hidden>
>
> Quoting Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>
> > looking for sh.exe along the PATH, which is quite close.  What do you
> > suggest to do instead? use cmd.exe?
> >

> If enviroment variable SHELL exists use its value otherwise use the
> value of COMSPEC unless the makefile sets SHELL explicitly.

Using SHELL from the environment would be against the practice on
Unix.  And using COMSPEC if SHELL is undefined will effectively make
cmd.exe the default shell (because most users don't have SHELL in the
environment).  That is a major change in the behavior; I'm not sure
whether we should make such a change.

I agree that Makefile's should generally set SHELL, but the practice
is that many don't.